Sunday, July 07, 2013

Beautiful

Beautiful.

So many things are probably beautiful
that I can't see that way at all.

How come I sense that the things that hurt
and make me cry and hold my heart tight
and want to break apart into 
a million pieces
are 

somewhere

somehow

beautiful?

Is it that my scope and vision are simply too small to see?
That I see only the tiniest part of what is 
and describe it the way I have learned and been taught to describe things?

Have not the most painful and desolate times in my own life brought me to new 
places?
New views?
New awarenesses and abilities?

It is easy to look at a clear blue sky
the punch pink blossom of a bloom
the perfect smile of an unblemished baby
the waving green stalks of corn in an Iowa cornfield
a butterfly alit on a blade of grass for just a moment

and see beautiful.

But what of the storm that threatens?
The browned and dry petals fallen and forgotten?
The curled lips of a cleft palate on a child forgotten in an orphanage?
Of the burnt fields of a farmer wronged?
The broken wings of a life taken too soon?

To pry away the grey and dirt, the death and sorrow, the disappointment and fear

to find the hope of 
new.

That is far more difficult.

What if beautiful lives in the seed
of
everything?

If it is so,

might I
be able
to 
see.

Beautiful.

No comments: